When deciding what to bring to your boudoir photography session I have 2 important pieces of advice:
- Make sure that you feel attractive and sexy in whatever you bring. The best boudoir photographs are created when you feel good.
- It’s also important that everything you bring fits you well. If in doubt it’s always wise to go to a specialist lingerie shop for a fitting. If a bra is the wrong size it can give you bulges in all the wrong places and really does nothing to enhance your shape.
Apart from that it’s up to you what you bring although as a general rule, the more you bring, the more choices we will have and variety we can achieve in the images.
To give you a few ideas you could bring:
- A little black dress. You don’t have to be in your lingerie in boudoir photographs. Providing you wear something that you feel sexy in, then that will give the images a boudoir feel. Also bringing something with you like a dress means that we can start photographing with you wearing more clothes to give you more confidence and realise how beautiful you are before progressing to something more revealing.
- Jeans and a simple vest top or t-shirt. (Please don’t wear these on your way to the shoot as they will leave marks on your skin). Sometimes the most simple things are the most attractive.
- 2 – 3 sets of bra & pants. Avoid strapless bra’s because they aren’t as flattering. Try to have a couple of different colours & styles (including a classic black, white or cream) if possible to increase the variety of images.
- Stockings and Suspenders (or hold-ups if you don’t have any). They really do add an extra dose of sexy to any image.
- Things for a bridal shoot. If you’re getting married and are having a boudoir shoot as a present for your groom, make sure that you bring with you a white or cream set of lingerie, white or cream suspenders / hold-ups, a veil and some pale coloured high heels.
- Corsets are fantastic. Whatever your body shape a corset will give you a fantastic hour glass figure. Whether you are more curvy, have had children like me which have left you with a wobbly baby belly, or if you have a more boyish shape and dream of having curves like Marilyn Monroe; corsets will make anyone feel fantastic. They’re also very sexy!
- Babydolls are also very flattering and great at minimising any areas you’re less keen on. They’re very feminine to which can create some beautiful, romantic images.
- Accessories are a must. This should include necklaces (long ones are great because you can play with them in your images to give you something to do with your hands), hats and scarfs.
- Some killer high heel shoes. Ones with a slim high heel work best as they’re more delicate than ones with a wedge heel.
- Your partners work shirt, favourite team sport shirt or even something like a rugby ball
If you don’t have all of these things don’t panic. I always bring some accessories with me to every shoot, plus a white sheet and other materials which are great for draping around you either by the window or when lying on a bed. So if you don’t have any underwear at all which you think is attractive enough, then there is lots of images we can still create.
If you decide to invest in some new items (and a boudoir shoot is a great excuse) then some great places to start looking are:
www.bouxavenue.com - Boux Avenue have some stunning lingerie ranges and have a gorgeous ‘look book’ if you’re seeking some inspiration
www.corsets-uk.com - They sell a huge range of stunning corsets for a very affordable price.
www.newlook.com - They not only sell some gorgeous underwear but also have some great high heels if you haven’t got anything suitable but don’t want to break the bank.
www.figleaves.com - Stocking all the main brands, figleaves offers plenty of choice for every taste
If you have any more questions, I always have a chat to you about the style of images you’re looking to create and what to bring before we meet for your shoot.